Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Casablanca: The Classic Story of Timeless Love

It's Saturday night, and like any other geek, I spent it locked up in my room occasionally studying or watching movies alone. What makes today even special is the Valentine's Weekend. I don't have a date for Valentine, never do, for I think dating is over-rated. Oh, I sure do miss it, but I keep myself amused by watching "Passions".

So, tonight I spent my time watching Casablanca (1942). I first came across Casablanca when I was going through "100 yrs...100 films" AFI list for 100 movies about 3 yrs ago. Since then, Casablanca has remained my most favourite movie till date. The film, beautiful as it is, is according to AFI #1 Passion in their list of 100 passions and #2 Movie in 100 movies, beaten only by Citizen Kane. 'As Times Goes By'#1 song according to the AFI list.

Casablanca is, by my counts, most passionate movie ever. The characters portrayed are so true that its  impossible to fathom that there existed a strenous relation between the two leads; they hardly even spoke. But the one thing that sets it apart from all the movies I like is the Ending.
Who can forget the iconic finale, where Rick tells Elsa to sit in the plane, "We'll Always Have Paris!"
And Louise's reaction when Rick shoots the commander in front of him, "Round up the usual suspects" or
Rick's famous reply, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a Beautiful friendship."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment